Our IELTS courses are very popular. Many of our students need to take the IELTS test to prove their level of English for study at university. The aim of this course is to fully prepare you for the test so you achieve your best possible result. If you want to combine IELTS preparation with General English, please see our options here.
Our IELTS courses are carefully designed to provide you with the preparation and practice you need to succeed. You will be taught exam techniques and strategies for each of the tasks you will meet in the test. The IELTS test has the following parts:
Our IELTS teachers use a published course book throughout the course. You will be given a course book for each IELTS level you study at. You will be expected to complete 1-2 hours of homework per day.
The average progress rate of our students varies according to level, ability, determination and the amount of time spent on homework and self-study. Generally we advise 8 – 10 weeks study to increase your IELTS score by 0.5 band.
Included in your fees:
- You can attend up to 4 free IELTS practice sessions per week.
- A short review test and practice test each week.
- Monthly progress tests and progress report.
- 1:1 tutorial with your teacher including an Individual Action Plan.
- Optional Exit Test – compare your placement test results with your exit test results to see how much you have improved.
- Outside the classroom you can use the LSe-Learning online platform for extra practice.
- This starts from the enrolment date and runs for 6 months (if the student is enrolled for more than 6 months the e-learning will run accordingly)
- You can attend up to 3 free support classes per week.
Taking the IELTS Test
Liverpool School of English is not an IELTS test centre. Our students take their IELTS test at a test centre in Manchester (for UKVI) or at The University of Liverpool (Academic or General Training). We will help you book your IELTS test. If you want to study at a UK university, our Director of Academic English is also able to provide you with information and advice to help you choose and apply for your university course.
This is a SELT (Secure English Language Test). Non- EU students who are applying for a Tier 4 student visa should take this test. Students applying for university pre-sessional courses will also need to take this IELTS test. This test must be taken at a SELT approved centre. You can take the IELTS UKVI at a test centre in Manchester. This is approximately 1 hour away by train. Information on dates, fees and how to book is here.
Academic IELTS (non-SELT)
This IELTS is accepted by the majority of UK universities. You should however, always check with the university you are planning to study at. You can take the Academic IELTS at the test centre at The University of Liverpool. This is just a short walk from the school. The tests are offered once or twice each month on a Saturday. Information on dates, fees and how to book is here.
|IELTS Preparation 8 (Part-Time)|
|13:00 - 15:00||Language focus: Ways of looking at the future Vocabulary: Adjective/noun collocations||Speaking: IELTS part 3, the future Listening: Section 1, note completion||Reading: Summary completion, multiple choice, short answer questions Vocabulary: Verbs of prediction||Writing IELTS task, comparing data|
|IELTS Preparation 15 (Full-Time)|
|9:00 - 12:00||Vocabulary: Sports Listening: Section 3: multiple choice, note and table completion||Reading: Matching paragraphs, multiple choice Language focus: Adjectives –ing/-ed and prepositions||Speaking: Test parts 2-3: describing a sporting activity you like doing||Writing: Task 1: Selecting and reporting main features of data from a table||Language focus: Word building Unit review and consolidation activities|
|IELTS Preparation 2020|
|1-8 Weeks||9-12 Weeks||13-23 Weeks||24+ Weeks|
|IELTS Preparation 8 (Part-Time)||£115||£115||£115||£115|
|IELTS Preparation 15 (Full-Time)||£210||£205||£200||£195|
There will be no lessons on the following UK public holidays and there is no discount in fees.
- 10th April
- 13th April
- 8th May
- 25th May
- 31st August
Close on 18th December 2020 and re-open on 4th January 2021.
- Registration Fee £60
- Materials Fee 1 – 12 weeks £30 | 13 – 23 weeks £60 | 24 weeks + £90 (Coursebooks will be provided)
- CAS Fee £21 (For non-EU students applying for a Tier 4 General Student Visa) (subject to change)*
- Courier Fee £75 (For students who require a hard copy of their visa letter for their visa application)*
- Examination Fees (subject to change):
- IELTS (UKVI) £200
- IELTS (Academic or General Training) £160
*these fees are dependent on the type of Visa the student has