At the Liverpool School of English, we are always looking for warm, friendly and caring homestay hosts. It is a fantastic opportunity to share your home with students from around the world. This can be an enriching experience for you and your family as you get to know your student throughout their stay. We have hosts all across Liverpool who have worked with us for years to provide a welcoming, supportive and safe homestay for our students.
Our dedicated Accommodation Team is here to help and support you in your role as a host. They are available to answer any questions you may have and will assist should you have any problems whilst hosting. The experienced team will guide you through the application process to ensure you are fully prepared and have everything that you need in order to enjoy your experience as homestay host.
All of our homestays are unique; we have families, couples and single hosts who all live in a variety of different homes, from apartments to bungalows to detached houses. The most important thing as a host is the safety and wellbeing of the student. You should encourage them to feel at home by treating them like a member of the family. We expect our hosts to pay attention to the student, to engage them in regular conversation and check they are happy and comfortable throughout their stay. This will ensure that they don’t feel alone as well as encouraging them to speak and practise their English. As a host you will need to cater for the student by providing healthy and balanced breakfasts and dinners throughout the week as well as lunch on a Sunday.
The safety of our students is the number one priority as a homestay host. Before you become a host, there are some things that you will need:
- A DBS check for everyone living in your home that is over the age 18
- A Gas Safety Certificate
- A Fire Safety Risk Assessment
Your spare room will need to have:
- A proper bed – can be single or double
- A table or desk so that the student can study and complete their homework
- Hanging and drawer space for clothes and possessions
- Adequate heating and lighting so the student can live comfortably
- A change of bed linen and towels each week and a good supply of blankets
- The room should be clean and in a good state of repair with a window or source of natural light
- The room does not need to have an en-suite bathroom but students should have access to a bathroom with a lock where they can bathe/shower daily
- If you are hosting students over 18 you do not need to wash clothes for the students but they should have access to washing facilities in your home. If you are hosting younger student (12-17 years) then you will be asked to wash clothes for them.
The Application Process:
If you would like to become a host for us and have all of the necessary requirements please contact us and one of our Accommodation Team members will come and visit you in your home. They will help you fill in the application form and ask you to sign a contract with us. You will need to provide the necessary documentation from above as well as your bank account details in order to get expenses paid. If you would like to know more about this fantastic opportunity please contact us and we will be happy to help.